Sunday, August 1, 2010

Deputation

Our team has less then two months before we depart for our journey. One of the obstacles we face is raising the needed funds to make this happen. I stumbled upon a word that is exactly what what we are trying to do: Deputation refers to the process of raising sufficient prayer, encouragement, and financial support to enable a field worker to serve overseas. Just as consistent prayer and encouragement are crucial to your ministry overseas, consistent financial support is also necessary. You are encouraged to ask people to make a regular commitment in all aspects of support (prayer, encouragement, finances).

On my first short term mission trip to Kenya (just two years ago!), I was overwhelmed by the cost of going, and terrified to ask people to help me. Asking people to pray for me was easy, and came naturally. Asking people to support me financially was a different story, and it pushed me way out of my comfort zone. I thought, I will save up all that money and do it myself! I didn't realize how selfish I was being until someone explained it to me like this:

Don't deny someone the blessing. Don't deny someone a chance to be a part of this mission trip. Not everyone is willing, or able, to leave everything behind and travel to the other side of the world to serve. We all serve in different ways. But don't deny someone the opportunity to plant seeds into this ministry. There are two other things I needed to consider. Raising the money also raises awareness. Each time I ask someone if they would like to help support this mission trip financially, it gives me an opportunity to tell them all about this ministry. I get to tell them about the beautiful people of Kenya, about the children I met when I was there, about the dedicated people doing such wonderful work EVERY DAY on the ground there, to improve the lives of the impoverished. The second thing is that something that comes easy to us often times doesn't mean nearly as much. If we have to work hard for something, we take ownership of it. Each person on our team is working hard to raise awareness, to build a network of prayer partners dedicated to praying for the people of Kenya and for our mission team, and to raise the financial support needed to make all of this happen.

I urge you to consider making a financial donation. It is, or course, tax deductible. Think of areas in your life where you could abstain from something, and give to the Kingdom. Are you a coffee drinker? The average price of a cup of coffee is $1.38. If you gave up just one cup of coffee for a day for just two weeks, that's almost $20!

We have prayed for God to lay the financial needs of this ministry on the hearts of our fellow Christians. Financial donations for our team can be sent to: Mountain Christian Church, ATTN: Missions - KENYA092010, 1824 Mountain Road, Joppa, MD 21085-199.

Thank you, and may you be blessed in your giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment